INTRO

I recently discovered this treasure during my last visit helping clean out my parent's basement. Revisiting the characters, games, and publications I created as a child brought me to tears of laughter. I hope it does the same for you. I will be posting the work as I scan them. ENJOY!

I am now employed FT and would like any future donations to go to Child's Play; Penny Arcade's awesome fundraiser for kids in hospitals.

Friday, August 13, 2010

KIDS ALWAYS LOVE PIRATES

Skull & crossbones. A raging storm at sea. Cannonballs all launching at once. this is pretty exciting! My dad worked on an Old Time Radio publication called NARA News in his spare time for many years and I learned about copyrighting work. I watched him use the typewriter, cut out clip art from his archive, and hand draw artwork for each issue. This was before digital desktop publishing and scanning was affordable at home. I started to "copyright" my pieces at around 8 or 9 years old. I used any paper I could my hands on: letter paper, computer paper (the kind with holes on both sides) and whatever my dad brought home. There was an endless drawer of paper.


I never read the back, if I did I would be asking what rape was or the other criminal activities listed on some reports from the police or FBI. This printing did some damage to my art while sitting in storage. Occasionally you will see weird, reversed text. This is the back sides of the paper rubbing off onto the stacked sheets. My favorite forms that i did understand were file reports on criminals, the page that had room for the mugshot, fingerprints, etc. I stamped the boxes with my own fingerprints, drew a villain, and let my imagination run wild. Good times. I hope I find one of those as I go through this collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment